The Truth About Parasites!
Fact: Over 95% of all puppies and kittens are born with some type of intestinal parasites.
Fact: Many of the parasites your animal can acquire are zoonotic,
this means YOU can become infected too!!
Fact: Parasites are treatable and preventable.
Fact: There are internal parasites such as Roundworms, Hookworms,
Tapeworms, Heartworms, Whipworms and Giardia (which are all zoonotic!).
There are also external parasites like Fleas, Ticks, and Mites.
So, we must prevent these parasites inside and out!
How do we prevent parasites?
Internal Parasite Prevention:
- ALL puppies and kittens 8 weeks or older should receive two doses of dewormer 10-14 days apart, a fecal test should also be run to rule out additional parasites.
- Roundworms, hookworms, tapeworms, and heartworms can be easily prevented in an adult dog by having them take a once-a-month chewable tablet. (Interceptor PLUS or Heartgard PLUS)
- Whipworms, coccidian, and giardia are easily treated with prescription medication.
- Cats can be dewormed orally at their annual wellness exam.
External Parasite Prevention:
- Fleas and ticks on both dogs and cats can easily be prevented by using a topical product like Frontline GOLD.
- Selarid (Generic Revolution) is another topical product for dogs and cats that prevents fleas, heartworms, ear mites, hookworms, roundworms, sarcoptic mites, and the brown dog tick. (This is a great product to keep on your outside cat year-round!)
- Credelio and Nexgard! (for dogs and puppies 8 weeks of age and older only) Is a great once a month chewable tablet for fleas and ticks. Kills fleas before they can lay eggs and prevents flea infestations.